Homemade apple butter & pie filling!


We Recently took a trip to the Apple Hill Orchard & cider mill. Its an annual trip for us! This year we purchased 2 bushels of apples! 1/2 went to my mother in law & the other half was ours. I finally got around to making my goodies! I first peeled the apples i would need for one crock pot full plus a pie & soaked them in water mixed with a small can of pineapple juice to keep the from browning. I just love my apple peeler i don't know how i managed before! The kids did alot of this part too! Mason loves cutting up any time of fruit or veggie. It took me a few days to finish all the apples but it was well worth the time & effort! You just can't beat homemade! For the pie filling I just added a little sugar and apple pie seasoning,Cinnamon & boiled for a few minutes then placed in food saver bags and froze. I'm sorry I don't have more details but I always just eyeball and taste till its right!


Homemade Apple Butter
Ingredients
5 1/2 lb apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla --- optional
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
Place the chopped apples in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients, stir to blend well.
cover and cook on high for one hour
reduce heat to low and cook 10-11 hours, stir occasionally. Until mixture is thickened and dark brown.
Uncover and continue cooking on low for 1 hour. Stir with whisk if desired to increase the smoothness
Spoon mixture into clean freezer containers.




Subscribe

The Country Homemaker, Copyright 2017. Powered by Blogger.